Thursday, July 19, 2012

Crescent City or Bust!!

We left Humbug State Park, hoping it was going to be a better day.  Matt was traveling to SanDiego also, so told him we would probably be seeing him down the road.  Jim, who was from Idaho had no plans but was just riding,  so we said good bye to him as well.  So of course for the first 20 miles of the trip we had a very strong headwind.  I have been told that I am not to not mention the tail wind if we start having one again, Brandon seems to think I'm bringing (headwind) bad luck.  So off we went to Goldbeach, because that was were we decided to have coffee.  Saw a few cool sights, the large dinasaure statutes and once again a huge bridge before we got into Gold Beach.  I told Brandon that he goes over them too slow so I'm going first, speeding over for my life and whoo no cars passed me.  I just dont feel very safe with what little shoulder they give you and some of the guard rails are so short.  We stopped for breakfast at the Hooked diner and it was very good food, the owner was also our waitress and she was very eager to please and so nice.  She wanted to get more bikers in the door.  She let us bring our bikes in the cafe as she had a huge front area before you get into the cafe.  We saw Matt zoom by, he was a fast rider it was funny because his main meals were macaroni and cheese with tuna, sound familiar to anyone.  We never saw him again that day, we did run into Burt he was also frustrated with the headwinds and said he probably was just going to do thirty miles as his head was not into riding.  Sounded like my little Humbug partner, he too was not into riding as his day was not going well.  Headwind for one was annoying him, he said he didnt mind the hills but (THIS DAM HEADWIND!!)We went across the highest Bridge in Oregon, and that is the final time we have seen Burt, it is callled the Thomas Creek Bridge and is 345 feet, the side of it was daunting as I did not stop to look over the edge like Burt did it was too scary.  Finally arriving in Crescent City around 6:30, cold and took one of my detours according to my map 6miles around the city, which any other time would have been beautiful because it took us by the beach.  Windy, cold (not a good mix) tired and hungry Brandon had had enough so wanted to get a motel.  Okay well at least on the right side of town not the wrong, so we stayed at the Penny Saver Inn, the lady gave us three dollars off(whoop whoop), and we were suppose to go eat at an all you can eat chinese(finally had talked Brandon into it, he likes no other chinese place except the one in Roy).  My bad luck once again and the buffet was closed, so 40 dollars later for mediocre chinese I too had had enough for the day.  More Happy Trails to come?

No comments:

Post a Comment